Mujaheddin prisoner camps for Serbs in Zavidovići, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Posted on April 23, 2014 by



Committee for Collecting Data on

Crimes Committed Against Humanity

and International Law

B e l g r a d e

January 1998.


MUJAHEDDIN PRISONER CAMPS FOR SERBS                                                                                                                                                                                                          –    IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF ZAVIDOVIĆI  –


The 465 prisoner camps for Serbs in the territory of Bosnia-Herzegovina (for which the Committee has thus far collected evidence of existence) included two camps in the territory of the municipality of Zavidovići owned by mujaheddins. They were located in the villages of Kamenica and Gostovići.


The individuals who fortunately survived the atrocities testify on what the captured soldiers of the Army of Republika Srpska and civilians went through during the imprisonment.



1.1. Witness 249/97-4, born in 1957, who was kept in this camp for 13 days, states:

… On 17 or 18 September, 1995, I was captured and taken to the mujaheddin camp located in the village of Kamenica near Zavidovići. P.M. from Kotor Varoš, R.R from Banja Luka, G.G. from Banja Luka, P.N. from Banja Luka, S. from Lijevče Polje, G. from Laktaši, and N. from Budžak, were taken there together with me.

We were brought to their camp, where we saw big, circular tents, in which the mujaheddins stayed. I counted 29 tents, assessing that each could hold 40-60 men.

I was taken to a room on the upper floor of a house, where I saw three mujaheddins, their heads wrapped up so that only their eyes could be seen. They ordered me to sit on a slab. One of them took a full-steel rod, diameter cca 2 cm, and started hitting me on my back and neck, until the rod banded. Then the other flattened the rod with a hammer. He then took the second, and then the third rod.

When the rods bent by the beating, they tied a wire around my neck, tying its other end around my leg. They had taken our boots, so I was barefoot. The end of the wire around my neck and leg was not insulated, while the remaining part of the wire was not. I saw something like a transformer in the room. One of the men took another wire connected to the transformer and connected it with the wire that was tied around my neck and leg. As soon as he did it, the electric shock made me faint. When I came around, they would turn on electricity again. This was repeated several times and I lost consciousness each time. The kept the electricity on for different durations. The electric shock made me feel as if my tongue had become shorter, and I started to choke.

When they were done with the electricity, they started hitting me with their legs, and then one of them took me back to the ground floor, where my friends were kept. After returning me downstairs, they took another prisoner upstairs, so we all underwent the same torture.

According to my assessment, the mujaheddins were Pakistanis, Turks, Arabs from Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, but among them were also Arabs from Germany and England.

I would also add that apart from these mujaheddins, there were also Bosnian Muslim in the Kamenica prisoner camp. I remember a Gunić form the Novoselije settlement in Banja Luka …

1. 2. Witness 284/97-2, worker, born in 1961, states:

… I lived in Vozuća, the place where I was born. On 10 September, 1995, early in the morning, soldiers of the Army of Bosnia-Herzegovina attacked Vozuća and the civilian population, including me and other women, had to flee. The next day, we were in the village of Kesten, where I was captured at about 16.30 hrs., with a group of 60 people. The group consisted of civilians, women and children, and some soldiers. We were taken prisoner by mujaheddins and Bosnian Muslims.

After they captured us, they started beating us with their fists, legs, rifle-butts and sticks. A mujaheddin hit me hard on the back with his rifle, and then spit on me scolding my “chetnick mother”.

I saw a captured Serb fall on his knees, after which the Muslim killed him with a shot from automatic rifle.

About thirty of us from the village of Kesten, including me and two more women (J.M. and G.B.), were taken from the village of Kesten to a mujaheddin camp in the village of Kamenica near Zavidovići. The others were taken to Tuzla.

They tied our legs and arms, and put some wrapping around our eyes.

The three of us were imprisoned in a wooden shed in Kamenica, while men were locked up in a nearby barrack. I could not see anything because I was blindfolded, but I concluded that it was a mujaheddin camp because they spoke in a very bad Serbian language.

Throughout the night, mujaheddins and Bosnian Muslim were coming to the shed in which we were kept, to beat us with rifles, sticks, legs and fists. I heard them talking about cutting our throats.

During the night, a mujaheddin came and put a non- insulated wire end on my face. He connected the rest of the wire, which was insulated, to some source of electricity, and I felt a terrible pain caused by the electric shock. This was repeated several times. Then he moved the wire from my cheek to my spine. Sometimes he held the wire on me longer, sometimes shorter.

The same electricity-torture procedure was applied on the other two women who were imprisoned with me.

During the night, we heard screams and moans and captured Serbs from the nearby barrack, pleading the mujaheddins not to torture them.

The next day, they interrogated us several times, beating us at the same time.

I heard them mentioning the names of my father, Miloš Jović, my uncle Mitar Jović, Drago Marković, Ranko Djurić, Mirko Matičić and his son Miodrag and a Čeda, who were captured with us, but now I do not know anything about their further fate. It has been assumed that they were killed on the way to Kamenica.

We were not given any food in Kamenica.

The second day, in the evening, the mujaheddins took the three of us, women, to their base in the territory of Zenica, by a small bus. We were kept there for about twenty days, before they took us to KPD in Zenica.

1. 3. Witness 260/97-7, housewife from Vozuća, states:

… After they brought us to Kamenica, they put us in a small wooden shed where they kept us tied for two days and two nights. All the time they beat us with their fists and some objects. Mujaheddins beat us at night, and Muslim soldiers during the day. We were not given any food, except that they spilled water from a bottle on our heads, offering us to drink it that way.

Across from the shed in which we were kept was a wooden barrack in which captured soldiers of the Army of Republika Srpska were locked up, from which cries and screams were heard, especially at night. S. recognized cries and screams of her uncle Mitar Jović.

The following day, a Muslim soldier came into the shed, asking if some of us had a father among their captives. S. responded, saying that her father Jovan Miloš was among the prisoners, and the soldier replied: “Unfortunately, you don’t have a father any more. You will now hear his name mentioned on the loud speaker”. Soon afterwards, the names of allegedly captured soldiers of the Army of Republika Srpska were read through the public address system installed in that part of the camp. The names read in addition to Miloš Jović were: Mitar Jović, Nenad Gligorić and Mirko Matičić, all from Vozuća, plus some other names which I cannot remember. I do not know what happened to these people, but since nothing is known about them, it is likely that they have been killed.

In the evening on 13 September, 1995, we were transferred by some vehicle, blindfolded, with arms and legs tied, into the community of Podbrežje near Zenica…



2. 1. Witness 260/97/10, technician, captured as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska on 21 July, 1995 on the Vozuća battlefield in the region of the village of Lozna, to be kept in the Livade prisoner camp for two days and then transferred to the mujaheddin camp in Gostovići, where he was kept for 24 days, testifies:

... I was captured by a group of 12 mujaheddins including a Bosnian Muslim who served as interpreter. Immediately after the capture, they started beating me. One of the mujaheddins ordered me to kneel down, took out his butcher knife with semi- circular blade and small handle which he held hanging around his neck, on his chest. He wanted to cut my had off, but the Muslim interpreter intervened, telling him something in Arabic.

They brought me to the village of Livade, where their medical corps was. They beat me, taking out an axe and a knife and threatening to cut off my head. One of them ordered me to lie down on the ground and stroke the axe near my head.

They further took me to their warehouse where I found captured soldiers of Republika Srpska Š.B. and T.B. After a short while, they took out the three of us and tied us, having written on a piece of paper “this is the end of chetnicks”, which they glued to Š.B.’s back. Later, they ordered us to take off our clothes, took us to a room and said: “you will now see how chetnicks’ throats are cut”. They tied us by raising our arms above our heads and tying them to our legs over our backs. They put a knife under our necks, as if they were going to cut our throats. Then they brought a cardboard box in which there were two cut off human heads with blood still dripping. At the entrance of the room, I saw two bodies in my unit’s uniforms, but I could not see them whether there were heads on the bodies.

Two days later, we were transferred to Gostovići, near Zavidovići. On the way, they stopped the small bus at many places for mujaheddins to come and beat us. We were also beaten by civilians who happened to be there.

We were brought to Gostovići, where there was a mujaheddin camp with tents in a circle. One of the tents was bigger and served for religious rituals. Since we could not wall, the mujaheddins practically brought us into a smaller yellow tent, from which we were later moved into a house with torn down roof, which was located within the camp. They brought us into the ground floor and locked us up in a room. Boards were nailed on the windows, and the wooden door had an opening for the guard to look through and control us. B.T. was in charge of bringing in and taking out the pail in which we relieved ourselves.

They tied our legs with a large chain. My left leg was tied to V.T.’s right leg, and his left leg was tied to M.K.’s right leg, and so on. Each of us, who were tied, was locked by a separate padlock.

Abuses continued. One of the mujaheddins asked Dr.S. if he was a medical doctor and then pushed him to cut M.K.’s throat, which he refused, saying that he was trained to help people, not to cut their throats.

Since our hands and legs were tied, we could not take food ourselves, so they untied V.G.’s hand so that he could feed us, crawling on his knees.

Mujaheddins often burst into this room, to beat us with sticks and handles of agricultural tools. They also carried hand and motor saws and threatened to use them for chopping our heads off, which exhausted us mentally.

On one occasion, they took me out of that house and one of the mujaheddins kicked me hard near my mouth. Then they blindfolded me with a thick wrapping and took me with them for a while, to make me lose orientation. They they placed me on my stomach, with my legs raised up and tied with a rubber hose. They brought other prisoners to the same place, one by one, to beat them and give vent to their lower instincts in all kinds of ways.

Before being captured, Gojko Vujičić had been wounded in the area of his right thigh. Since the wound was not treated, he was in a very bad condition. During the beating he moaned in pain, pleading the mujaheddin to stop. At one point of time, I heard him swear God because he could no longer stand the pain. Then I heard a shot, after which they cut the Vujučić’s head off. I did not see them actually doing it, but the others did. Since the Vujičić’s head was cut off, the mujaheddins uncovered my eyes and brought the head close, showing it to me and to the others and ordering us to kiss it, and we had to obey.

After that, they untied our legs and, one by one, we were returned to the room in which we were kept prisoner. They brought Vujičić’s head there and put in on a metal hook on the wall. As far as I can remember, the head was taken out two days later.

One day, they brought us out in the camp area for all the mujaheddins to see us. In my assessment, there were one thousand of them. They lined us up in such a way that we were surrounded by them, and they were singing and shouting something in Arabic. One of them had a knife in his hands and was persistently trying to come close and cut our throats, but two others prevented him. He was foaming with rage. They returned us to the room in which we were imprisoned.

On 23 August 1995, the mujaheddins took me out to a small football field behind the building in which we were kept. Three mujaheddins approached me and one threw the keys to the padlocks with which we were locked. They ordered me to find the keys to our padlocks. When I did it, they ordered me to stand up and one of the mujaheddins said in Serbian: “Your last minutes have come”. They took me behind the goal and told me to kneel down in a canal. One of them held the gun and spoke English, and the other one translated it to other mujaheddins. He told them to move back so as not to be splashed with my blood. However, he then changed his mind, ordered me to rise and brought me to the middle of the field. The other, who spoke Serbian, told me to kneel dawn and put my hands on the ground. The one who carried the gun caught my hair, pulled my head back and pushed the gunbarrel into my mouth. He pulled the trigger and the gun just clicked, because it was empty. The other mujaheddin fired two rifle bullets just next to me. Then they beat me for about an hour. They stopped when two military policemen of the Muslim Army arrived. Those military policemen took us to the KPD in Zenica.

I was registered by the International Committee of the Red Cross on 31 December 1995 in Zenica. Until that time they were hiding me.

In the mujaheddin camp, five of my ribs were broken, by spinal verterbra were damaged, my 11 teeth were knocked out. My nose bone was broken. I was afflicted head injuries. Now I have pain in my body. I have the medical documentation. I have been declared 80% disabled …

2. 2. Witness 260/97-11, who was captured by the “El Mujahid” mujaheddin unit on 21 August 1995, after which he spent a month in the Gostovići prisoner camp, testifies:

… Having graduated from the secondary school in 1994, I joined the Army of Republika Srpska, to do my regular military service, and was sent to the battlefield in Ozren in May 1995. I was captured there during the Muslim offensive, on 21 July, 1995. I was captured by the mujaheddin unit in which several Muslims from Bosnia-Herzegovina served as interpreters. I was captured together with Gojko Vujičić and S.G., who had previously sustained leg wounds, and with V.A.

After the capture, we were tied with wire and taken to the village of Livade, where we spent three days. We were beaten incessantly. Mujaheddins would come to the room in which we were imprisoned and shout: “Hear are the heads of your chetnicks”, but I did not see those heads because I was blindfolded.

On 23 July 1995, I was transferred from Livade to the mujaheddin base in the territory ofGostovići near ZavidovićiWhen we arrived in the base, they beat us again, our arms and legs tied. We were first placed in a tent, then in a room in the groundfloor of a torn down house. I do not remember whether it happened the same night, or the following night, but they took us out in the base area, blindfolded us, tied our arms and legs, in such a way that our legs were up and tied with rubber hoses. I had an impression that the air was injected into the hose by a compressor, because the hose tightened and caused us terrible pains. They beat us in that position and molested us all night, until early morning, when their prayer started.

I heard Vujičić begging them to untie him because he could no longer stand pains, then I heard a shot and mujaheddins shouting: “Allah Yegber”. Some minutes later, they untied our eyes, ordered us to rise, which I could not do, so two mujaheddins held me. They put before me a human head and ordered me to “kiss the brother”, which I had to do. It is only then that I saw that it was Gojko Vujučić’s head. Later on, they hang the head on a hook on the wall of the room in which we stayed.

Molestation and heavy beating were a daily routine, attended with threats that they were going to execute us.

They would order us to lie down on the floor, bring electric saws and threaten to cut our head off. Throughout the time we were tied to each other with chains and each one was locked by a separate padlock. This caused open wounds, which have left scars on my wrists and ankles. At the peak of heat, they forced us to lie still on the football field in the sun, beating us at the same time.

On 23 August 1995, they took us out “to sunbathe” in the football field, when they beat us severely. Then the military police of the Army of Bosnia-Herzegovina came to the camp. The military policemen removed the chains, handcuffed us and put us, one by one, in a small bus. They took us to KPD Zenica, where I stayed until the exchange on 24 December, 1995. I was not registered by the Red Cross.

During the stay in the mujaheddin camp, they broke my two ribs. As a consequence of the beating, I still have problems with my spine and kidneys…

2. 3. Witness 303/97-26, born in 1931, states:

...I learnt that after being taken prisoner on 21 July, 1995, by a mujaheddin unit, my son Gojko Vujičić was killed. He was a farmer, from the village of Donji Vijačani, the municipality of Prnjavor, born in 1955, in the village of Donji Vijačani.

A group of captured Serbian soldiers, including Š.B. and S.J. told me that the mujaheddins had cut off Gojko’s head, and then forced all Serb prisoners present to kiss his head…

2. 4. Witness 303/97-28, born in 1961, states:

… It was on 21 July, 1995, that I was captured by mujaheddins, together with 11 other soldiers of the Army of Republika Srpska. They took us to a house and imprisoned us in a room where they beat us all night with wooden sticks, a rubber hose, with their fists and legs with heavy soldiers boots on.

The following morning, some men in white clothes came into the room in which we were imprisoned, holding 60 cm long swords in their hands. One of them ordered me to lie down on my stomack, saying that he was going to cut my throat. He cut my shirt all over with the tip of the knife. The skin of my back was also cut. Then they beat me severely. We were left tied in the same room until the next morning.

The next morning, the mujaheddins took me to the front line in the place called Krčevine, where I had been captured. Then they uncovered my eyes and ordered me to show them where our units were. On the way back, I noticed a body of the killed Serb soldier Miladin Šuman from the village of Hrvaćani, the municipality of Prnjavor, on whose forehead the crescent and star sign was incised. Moving on, I noticed 21 dead bodies of Serb soldiers in army uniforms.

In Gostovići, we were placed in an unfinished, roofless house, with only a concrete slab which leaked, so that water was inside all the time. As soon as we arrived, the mujaheddins tied us with a hose, into which they let air under pressure, to make it expand and press our legs. This cause terrible pains and Gojko Vujičić swore God, so one mujaheddin took him aside and cut his head off. I did not see what he used for the cutting, but I know that he brought the head into the room and forced all of us to kiss it. Then the mujaheddin hung the head on a nail in the wall. Every day, the mujaheddins, Muslim soldiers and civillians came into that room, to beat us until we lost consciousness. They ordered us to lie down on our stomachs and then they kicked us with their boots, hit us with pieces of wood, and often connected some electric devices on various parts of our bodies and caused electric shocks by turning on a kind of a machine, until we lost consciousness.

I was kept in Gostovići for 33 days, during which time I did not receive any medical help, even though I was wounded during the capture …

2. 5. Witness 303/97-29, born 1947, states:

... On 21 July, 1995, I was captured together with 11 other soldiers of the Army of Republika Srpska by soldiers of the Army of Bosnia-Herzegovina, which also included mujaheddins. After they took us prisoner, they threatened to butcher us. They kicked us with their boots, beat us with rifle butts and gun barrels, with their fists and pieces of wood, swore our Serbian and chetnick mother, and women who followed us all the way hit us with pieces of wood all over our bodies, mostly on the head and back.

We were brought in a house in the village of Gostovići and the mujaheddins immediately tied our hands and legs with a rope, made nooses on other ends of the rope, and put them around our necks.

Tied like that, I was unable to make a move with any part of my body because the noose around my neck tightened with even the slightest move. We spend the entire night and the following day tied like that. In the evening, we were tied again, except that we were ordered to lie on our stomachs,to put our hands on our backs and raise our legs up. A mujaheddin tied my legs first, then my hands with the same rope, and than put a wire around my neck, to which he tied the rest of the rope. I spent the whole night in that position. I could not move my leg or arm because each move would tighten the wire noose around my neck.

In the mujaheddin camp, we were placed in a roofless building which only had a leaking concrete slab, for which reason water was on the floor, and we were tied, 12 of us with one rope.

Mujaheddins came into that room. We distinguished them from Bosnian Muslims by their uniforms and signs, as well as by the color of their skin.

Tied like that, mujaheddins hit us mostly with sticks and batons until we lost consciousness. Mujaheddins entered the room with sabers in their hands, about 60 cm long. They stuck saber tops into our bodies, mostly in the neck area, showing that they were going to cut our throats. They also hit us with their booted legs, and with the sabers all over our bodies. After the mujaheddins would leave, Muslim soldiers would come in, with shovel handles, which they used for hitting us, mostly in the chest and head areas. The beating took place every day, mostly at night, several times in a row.

I remember that on the fourth night of the stay in the mujaheddin camp in Gostovići, we were all blindfolded and taken out to a field where we were ordered to lie down on our stomachs, after which they tied our arms and legs. Our legs were tied with a hose which expanded fast and tightened around our legs. This caused terrible pains and none of us could keep quiet, we had to moan. I was beaten throughout the night and was retaurned to the prison room only the next morning.

A mujaheddin came into that room, bringing with him the head of Gojko Vujičić, whom I had known well, and ordered us all to kiss Gojko’s head, which was covered with blood. When we did it, he took the head and hung it on a nail on the wall and the head stayed in our room for about three days.

I stayed there for 33 days, during which time we were beaten every day and night until we lost consciousness. We were bruised, covered with blood and swollen all the time. Whenever Muslim or mujaheddin soldiers came in, they threatened to slit our throats and cut our heads off.

During our stay in the mujaheddin camp, they brought some electic devices and connected them to parts of our bodies and then turned a handle on that device to cause horrifying electric shocks all over our bodies.

Mujaheddins took us, chained, to a nearby river, where they forced us to lie in water for several hours, after which they returned us, so wet, to the camp.

They took us out at about 14 hours, when the sun was the strongest, and ordered us to lie on our backs and look at the sun for a long time. As we were looking at the sun, they also forced us to hold a 30 cm long piece of wood in out teeth.

2. 6. Witness 303/97-30, born in 1951, states:

 I was captured on 21 July, 1995 in the village of Krčevine by soldiers of the Army of Bosnia-Herzegovina, including mujaheddins who wore special unifors, special marks and had darkish faces, unlike Muslim soldiers.

After the capture, we were transferred to a building where we spend the night kneeling, tied with a rope. On the other end of the rope, a noose was made for each one of us and put around our necks. The second night, mujaheddins entered the room in which we were kept, ordered us to lie on our stomachs, put our arms on the back and raise our legs up, and tied a rope around our legs. They tied our arms with a wire and put the wire noose around our necks. We stayed in that position throughout the night and noone could move either arm or leg because each move tightened the noose and we could be strangled.

I spend 33 days in the mujaheddin camp in the village of Gostovići and every day, myself and other Serbs were beaten at least once, sometimes several times, not only by mujaheddins but also by local villagers.

Every day, I was taken to be interrogated and on my way back, I saw that all captured Serbs were swollen, bruised, covered with blood and beaten up, and most of them were beaten up so severely that they could not even move.

Considering that I received heavy blows on my head every day, I cannot exactly remember the date when Gojko Vujičić was taken out of the room in which we were kept. When his head was brought into the room, it was still bleeding. The mujaheddin who brought Gojko’s head in forced us to kiss it, and the interpreter added that one chetnik’s head was cut off, and it will be somebody else’s turn tomorrow. Gojko Vujučić’s head was hung on a large nail found in the wall. One mujaheddin placed a handsaw on my neck after having ordered me to kneel down. Holding me by the hair with his hand, he said that he was going to cut off my head. He threatened B.Š. and V.T. in the same manner.

During our stay in the camp, we could niether lie down nor sleep. We had to sit tied next to the wall with our heads bowed to the floor. Muslim soldiers and mujaheddins brought in some electirc devices which they most frequently put on our chests and then turned on electricity, which caused terrible pains.

We were given food once a day, mostly a small piece of bread and some warm water…

2. 7. Witness 303/97-27, born in 1961, who was captured on 21 July, 1995, early in the morning, together with 11 other soldiers of the Army of Republika Srpska, in Krčevine, states:

... After capturing us, they took us to the village of Gostovići, where the mujaheddin camp was located, and imprisoned us in a house under construction, which had only a concrete slab and leaked all the time. They tied our arms and legs with wire, of which I still have scars. They ordered us to sit all the time, with our heads bowed.

Mujaheddins were coming into the room all the time, to beat us with riflebutts, barrels, kick us with their boots. All the time, they were putting sabers on our necks, saying that they were going to cut our heads off.

Many blows on my head in that mujaheddin camp caused serious brain concussion and I was out of consciousness for several days.

I remember that they tied us with a rope. They tied one end of the rope to our arms and placed the other end, forming a noose, around our necks. They would leave us tied like that for 10 or more hours, without being able to move a single part of our body. Even a slight movement of my leg or arm would tighten the noose around my neck. We could only sit motionlessly in that position, in order not to be strangled.

I also remember that after the capture, it was together with a group of captured Serb soldiers that I was taken to a place where a body of a decapitated Serb soldier was lying. The mujaheddins ordered us to lie down on the floor, threatening to decapitate us the same as they did the said soldier. I saw that his chest and stomach were cut.

I also remember that mujaheddins connected some electrodes to various parts of our bodies, and then produced electric shocks by turning on a machine, which were so strong that we lost consciousness. They subjected us to such shocks several times.

I remember well the day when captivated Serb soldier Gojko Vujičić asked a mujaheddin to loosen the wire which tied his arms, saying something that made two mujaheddins rise, and one of them cut Gojko’s head off. I saw Gojko’s body jumping for some more time, even though his arms and legs were tied, before it calmed down. Then the mujaheddin took the head by the hair, raised it and order all of us to kiss the head. Then he put the head on a large nail in the wall, leaving it to hang there.

In the camp, we were given food once a day, usually a small piece of stale bread and some tasteless broth¼

2. 8. Witness 334/97-14, captured on 21 July 1995, who was kept in a house in the village of Livade for two days to recuperate, after which he was brought to Gostovići where he was imprisoned for 34 days, before being transferred to KPD Zenica, testifies:

... We were taken prisoner on the Ozren battlefield by a mujaheddin unit, on 21 July, 1995. After the capture, they took us to the village of Livade and locked us up in a cabin.

We were kept in that Livade house for two days, following which we were taken to the village of Gostovići and placed in a torn down house with no roof. We were placed in a room with concrete floor, on which there was water.

We were ordered to sit on the floor, with our knees put together. Then they put a piece of wood under our knees, 1 meter long and about 5 cm thick. They ordered us to put our arms under that stick, tied our hands under our knees, making a noose of the other end of the rope, which they placed around our necks. Tied like that, we could not make a slightest move of arm or leg, because it caused the noose to tighten around our necks.

As they were tying us, V.A. tried to escape by jumping through the window. The mujaheddins caught him, brought him to the room where we were, and beat him up so hard that we doubted that he would survive.

Before each interrogation, the mujaheddins beat us severely all over our bodies, although we were tied in the way I explained before.

We spent 6 days tied like that. They set one B.Š.’s arm free, to allow him to feed us like babies. Mujaheddins came into the room at all times, holding knives in their hands, which they would put under our necks or in our mouth signaling with their finger across their neck how they were going to slit our throats.

During the second day of our stay in Gostovići, the mujaheddins blindfolded all of us and released our arms and legs, took us out of the room and tied us with a rope one to another, and took us to a tent. There, they also tied our legs with a rope and ordered us to lie down on our stomachs. We spent the entire night lying like that. At one moment, they took Gojko Vučenović aside.

After that, they moved us back to the same building and tied us with the rope under our knees, and the mujaheddins brought Gojko Vučenović’s head and ordered us all to kiss it. After the kissing, they tied the head to a nail in the wall, where it stood for two days before they took it away.

The mujaheddins often came inside, showing us knifes and showing with their fingers how they were going to decapitate us just like they did Gojko Vučenović. Whenever they came, they kicked us with their boots and pieces of wood. Besides the mujaheddins, Muslim soldiers also came in to beat us.

We spent 34 days in that building, and every day the mujaheddins beat us mercilessly.

The mujaheddins forced us, tied as we were, to bow our heads to the ground and stay in that position for several hours. All the time, we were sitting by the wall and were not allowed to move.

Tied as we were, they took us out to a river, where they would hold our head and dip it in water, holding it like that for some time, until we started taking in water.

They also took us out to a field, where we had to lie down on our back and look at the sun for several hours. Thez forced us to hold our hands upright and stand like that for several hours, looking at the Sun. They ordered all of us to liz down, and then they would step on us, over all parts of our bodies.

They used numerous torture methods against us. As I said before, they beat us every day until we lost consciousness.

These mujaheddins could not speak our language, some wore black wraps around their forehead and head. Their uniforms were different from our Muslim uniforms.

In Gostović, we lay all the time on the moist and wet concrete.

From Gostovići, we were taken to KPD in Zenica.

As a consequence of the blows that were inflicted on me by the mujaheddins in Gostovići, three of my ribs on the left were broken.

2. 9. Witness 337/97-23, who was captured on the Vuzuća battlefield on 12 July, 1995, by a mujaheddin unit and then taken to the camp in Gostovići, where he stayed for a month, after which he was transferred to KPD Zenica, testifies:

 When they brought us to the camp, the mujaheddins ordered us, through the interpreter, to sit down on the concrete, next to the wall, and then took piecec of wood, about 80 cm long, which they put under our knees. Then we had to put our hands under that wood, which they tied above our knees, making a noose of the other end of the rope, which they put around our neck. It was thus made impossible for us to move our arms or legs, because each move would tighten the noose.

Tied in the way which I described, we stayed for about 6 days.

Mujaheddins came into the room where we were kept and beat us severely. They hit us with spade handles, kicked us with their boots, hit us with rifle butts and barrels. I was all blue, covered with blood and swollen.

In that position, sitting next to the wall, tied like I described, we had to bow down and touch the concrete floor with our foreheads and heads when they so requested. We would stay in that position for several hours, which caused terrible pains in my head.

2. 10. Witness 61/97-19, who was captured on 17 September, 1995, on Ozren, as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska, born in 1952, testifies:

… 10 of us were captured on 17 September in a forest. We were captured by mujaheddins, among which were Muslim soldiers from Bosnia-Herzegovina.

After the capture, the mujaheddins tied our arms and took us to a village near Zavidovići. I know that they were mujaheddins because they did not speak our language. The color of their skin was different, and they had uniforms which differed form those of our Muslim soldiers.

When they brought us to the village, we were surrounded by a group of soldiers and civillians who started to harrass us.

We were then ordered to take off our uniforms and boots. We were forced to lie next to one another on our stomachs. They tied our arms on our backs and our legs one next to another with a wire.

The present mujaheddins and Muslim soldiers started to jump on our bodies, stepping on the 10 of us prisoners, and then took spade handles and some sticks and cables 50-60 cm long, about 3 cm thick, and started to beat us with them.

They were hitting us with those objects until we lost consciousness, then they spilled water on us to regain consciousness.

They forced even children to hit us with whatever objects they wanted to use, and they even ordered an old man to hit us. But, the old man refused, saying that he had a son who was a soldier.

The beating lasted for 3-4 hours and throughout the time we were lying on our stomachs.

Before tying us, the mujaheddins had taken away our watches, gold jewelry and money.

They placed us on a truck, on which we had to lie one over the other, on our stomachs. They covered us with blankets and the truck started to move.

After driving for about an hour and a half, the truck stopped. They took us off and locked us in a room the area of which was 4m x 4m.

In the room, we found 4 Serb soldiers who had been taken prisoner earlier. One was from Modriča, and the other was from Zavidivići. They were beaten up and swollen. Together with them was an elderly man, a farmer from a nearby village. He died ten days later as a consequence of daily beatings.

Civilians often came into the room to spit on us and, holding knives in their hands, to demonstrate how they were going to slit our throats and decapitate us.

They kicked us with their boots and hit us with their fists, while our legs and arms were tied all the time.

We were interrogated by Muslims in the presence of mujaheddins. They stood next to the person being interrogated, on the left and on the right. First they asked us the basic data, then about the units to which we belonged, and after that, they asked who tore down the mosques in Prijedor, Banja Luka and Bosanska Krupa, and who raped Muslim women.

The questions were followed by blows afflicted on us my mujaheddins with iron rods 70-80 cm long, and about 20 mm thick.

They also hit me with a cable, about 70 cm long, and with pieces of wood, mostly on my back. They ordered us to sit on the concrete floor with our legs spread, and hit us along the entire length of our legs, one hitting on the one side, another one hitting on the other side. After that, they put an electric device, used for killing bulls, on my neck, and turned electricity on. The electric shocks were horrible and caused pains all over my body, head in particular. This made me fall on the concrete floor. Then they kicked me with their boots. I could not move, so they dragged me down the stairs.

Other prisoners, who were with me in the group, were also covered with blood and swollen when returning interrogation. They, too, were dragged in, because they could not walk.

I stayed in the camp for about a month and was beaten every day. The blows caused bleeding all over my body.

In that camp, we lay on the concrete floor which was always wet, because the mujaheddins spilled water on it. We had neither spreads not covers.

At night time, mujaheddins often beat us and threatened to slit our throats.

The food was very bad, it could hardly be called food. Every day, we were given a head of raw cabbage, for the 10 of to share, as the four soldiers who had been there when we came were taken away.

We did our needs in the same room, which had no windows or light. The odor was unbearable.

Among other things, they forced us to stand straight on our heads for a long time.

Mujaheddins, in particular, ordered us to kiss one another and then to hit one another with our fists.

They asked us to convert to Muslim religion, promising that we would survive if we do.

A month later, the 10 of us were taken to the KPD in Zenica.

As a result of the blows in the mujaheddin camp, almost all my teeth have been knocked out. Only 7 teeth have remained in my lower and upper jaw. Also, as a result of the blows and threats, I have become nervous and I feel pain in the areas of my spine, chest and legs. After everything I have gone through, I do not feel like living any more ¼


The fact that mujaheddins in the Vozuća battlefield, assisted by Bosnian Muslims, decapitated Serb soldiers or cut off parts of their bodies after taking them prisoner is also confirmed by other documents in possession of the Committee. Such were the cases of: 

1. Dragoljub Antonić, driver from the village of Povelić, the municipality ofSrbac, born on 16 September, 1958, in Srbac, father’s name Miloš and mother’s name Zorka, nee Samov, as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska, disappeared in the Vozuća battlefield on 10 October, 1995. His body was exchanged and brought to Banja Luka on 17 September, 1996. His head was missing. Dragoljub’s wife learnt from his co-combatants that a mujaheddin unit captured a group of Serb soldiers, after which horrible screams and moaning were heard, which made her conclude that mujaheddins were decapitating Serb soldiers (witness 272/97-65).

2. Momir Vukašinović, car mechanic, from the village of Povelić, the municipality of Srbac, born on 17 December, 1952, in Povelić, the municipality of Srbac, father”s name Vid and mother’s name Radmila, nee Kresojević, was taken prisoner on 24 June, 1995, as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska by the Muslim Army on the Nikolino Brdo on Vozuća. The next day, 25 June, 1995, his body was exchanged and brought to Doboj without the head. He had a wound in the chest area and in the area above his left knee (witness 247/97-61).

3. Bogoljub Ilić, farmer from Nova Ves, the municipality of Srbac, born on 29 September, 1949 in the village of Nova Ves, the municipality of Srbac, father’s name Boško and mother’s name Darinka, nee Tatić, was on the Vozuća battlefield as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska and his family was informed on 13 September, 1995 that he disappeared. After the exchange, his body was brought to Banja Luka on 17 September, 1996. The head parts of legs were missing (witness 274/97-64).

4. Milan Medaković, farmer from the village of Kosijerevo, the municipality of Laktaši, born on 31 December, 1965, in Banja Luka, father’s name Bogoljub and mother’s name Smilja, nee Šikanja, as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska, was on Vozuća with his unit on 10 September, 1995, when he disappeared. His body was identified on 17 September, 1996, in Banja Luka after the exchange. The front part of the head, a part of the left leg and fingers on both hands were missing (witness 274/97-66).

5. Slavoljub Miladić, farmer from the village of Ilaćani, the municipality of Strbac, born on 19 May, 1960 in Srbac, father’s name Gojko and mother’s name Bosiljka, nee Vidović, disappeared in September, 1995, in the Vozuća battlefield as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska. After the exchange on 17 September, 1996, his wife took over his body in Banja Luka, on which the head, lower parts of arms and lower parts of legs were cut off and delivered together with the body (witness 274/97-59).

6. Marko Milašinović, textile technician, from Inadjol, the municipality of Srbac, born on 15 May, 1962, in Srbac, father’s name Mitar and mother’s name Koviljka, nee Kovačević, was taken prisoner as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska on 10 September, 1995. on the Paljenik hill at the Vozuća battlefield. On 10 September, 1996, his body was brought to Banja Luka after the exchange. The rear part of his head and his fingers were missing (witness 274/97-62).

7. Koviljka Pašalić, nee Ristić, from Vozuća, the municipality of Zavidovići, born in 1936 in Gostovići – Otežnja, father’s name Petar and mother’s name Milica, nee Stojanović, wife of Nestor Pašalić, mother of two children, was killed on 28 May, 1993, in her house in the periphery of Gostović by soldiers of a sabotage Muslim group. Her throat was slit and her larynx was cut out. She was buried in the cemetary near the monastery of “Sveta trojica” (The Holy Trinity) in Vozuća (witness 260/97-4).

8. Zoran Suvajac, farmer, from the village of Seferovci, the municipality of Srbac, born in 1972 in Kobaš, father’s name Rajko and mother’s name Milena, nee Melešević, was taken prisoner as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska by the Muslim Army on 10 September, 1995, in the Vozuća battlefield. In September 1996, his body was exchanged and it was established that his head, parts of arms and legs were missing (witness 274/97-58).

9. Milovan Todorović, labourer from the village of Mali Sitneši, the municipality of Srbac, born on 30 September, 1954, father’s name Ostoja and mother’s name Ljubica, nee Golubović, was taken prisoner as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska by soldiers of the Muslim Army on 10 September, 1995, in the Vozuća battlefield. A year later, on 20 September 1996, the Muslims handed over his body decapitated and with left leg missing. Milovan’s wife learned from his friends that after Milovan was captured they heard him screaming, so they assumed that his leg was first cut off, and then he was decapitated (witness 274/97-55).

10. Veselin Cerovac, plumber, from the village of Kukulje, the municipality of Srbac, born on 9 March, 1965, in Srbac, father’s name Vid and mother’s name Radojka, nee Janjić, was taken prisoner at the end of June, 1995, as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska by the Muslim Army in the Vozuća battlefield. Two days later, his body was handed over by the Muslims and brought to Doboj. His head was missing and there were many stub wounds in the chest area. Also missing was the middle finger of his left hand, on which he wore his wedding ring (witness 274/97-60).

11. Stanko Čolić, bricklayer, from Srbac, Inadol bb, born on 29 June, 1953, in Kotor Varoš, father’s name Simeun and mother’s name Darinka, nee Smiljić, was taken prisoner as soldier of the Army of Republika Srpska on 10 September, 1995, in the Vozuća battlefield. His body was brought to Srbac in September, 1995. On that occasion, it was established that his both hands and both feet, and the last part of his head were missing from the body (witness 274/97-57).


In addition to the mentioned cases, on 14th November 1997, 17 bodies of persons belonging to the Army of the Republic of Srpska, all wearing Republic of Srpska Army uniforms, were exhumed in the region Stog – Gostovići. Of that number, 13 bodies were decapitated, one head was separated from the body and three bodies were found with the remains of smashed heads.

The exhumation was performed in the presence of representatives of the organizations from the international community (OHR, PHR, SFOR, IPTF and the International Committee of the Red Cross) by the Joint Commission of the Republic of Srpska and the Muslim- Croatian Federation.

The State commission for the exchange of PoWs and missing persons of the Republic of Srpska claims 54 captured persons belonging to the Army of the Republic of Srpska who went missing in the region of Gostović where the unit of the Army of B-H “El Mujaheddin” had its detention camp.

mudzahedin  Semsudin Mehmedović, now member of  parliament of Bosnia and Herzegovina, with Serbian head as a trophy

Even more detailed (and more stressfull) is testimony provided bya former mujaheddin from Zavidovići, Ali Ahmed Al Hammad, former Al Qaeda member and commander of ruthless ‘El Mujaheddin’, who is waiting for extradition to Serbia, in order to testify about crimes committed by ‘El Mujaheddin’ against Serbian prisoners in Kamenica camp at the Town of Zavidovici in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The Zavidovici prisoner camp was among the most horrible ever. El Mujahedin detachment , composed of fanatic volunteers from the Arab countries, had captured 60 Serbian soldiers .  The Serbs have been subject to unprecedented  torture and suffering  in conc. camp  in the village of Gostovići near Zavidovići ;

The captured Serbs were forced to stabb each other with daggers; Mujahedins hammered them alive with nails  on a fence; the rusty nails were driven through their genitals.  After  the most horrifying bestiality which lasted for days, at the end the Mujahedins cut off  their heads.  Ali Hammad had written a book titled In the Network of the Evil, (,,U mreži zla”) where he detaily describes role the Mujaheddins played in Bosnia and Herzegovina, mass torture and rape of Serbian prisoners and Bosnian Muslim involvement in the crimes.

U mrezi zla




sources:  Committee for Collecting Data on Crimes Committed Against Humanity and International Law, FR Yugoslavia, Testimonies
In the Network of Evil,  Ali Hammad



Posted in: Uncategorized