How the Road to Racak was renamed to William Walker Road

Posted on April 2, 2013 by

0



This small part of the CBS report provides an illustrative example of how NATO and Albanian parties misled the world about the events in Kosovo.      

 

CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) Radio News, 2000

“Even if they don’t remember the village’s name, most Canadians will remember the pictures. The images of bodies piled in a ravine in the tiny Kosovo village of Racak in January 1999. That massacre of Albanian civilians by Serbian forces provoked immediate anger and international condemnation against Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic. It became the galvanizing event that led to NATO’s armed intervention against Yugoslavia. In the year that has passed since NATO’s bombing campaign, there is mounting evidence the Racak massacre was not as gruesomely simple as it first appeared.  

Wiliam

William Walker with his hands in his pockets conducting a so-called “investigation of the massacre”. Walker refused to allow representatives of the domestic media to be present during his “investigation process” and personally selected the teams of reporters who could accompany him.   

 

 There are suggestions the massacre was allowed to happen to fuel sympathy for Kosovo’s Albanians, while strengthening demands for NATO’s bombs. Over the past three months, CBC Radio has sought to unravel the mystery of the Racak massacre: was it a massacre or an act of manipulation by those interested in bringing NATO to war? If the Serbs had been planning a bloody massacre that day, why had they issued a press release in Pristina that morning, inviting journalists to come to Racak to cover the police operation? They said they would be carrying out an operation aimed at capturing Kosovo Liberation Army soldiers in the area responsible for killing three Serb policemen in ambushes the week before… Had the KLA manipulated the massacre scene to provoke condemnation against the Serbs? Were the dead men in the ditch really innocent civilians, or possibly dead KLA soldiers who’d been taken out of uniform?…The quest to determine what was going on in the days before the massacre has unearthed disturbing new information about the conduct of both the Kosovo Liberation Army and William Walker’s observer mission. Much of that new information comes from the people of Racak themselves. People like Sadije Ramadani say the first hints of what was to come appeared on the weekend prior to the Friday massacre. The Yugoslav Army had always maintained a small presence on the large hill overlooking Racak. But suddenly a significant number of reinforcements arrived. They showed up a day after the KLA ambushed and killed three Serb police officers. Canadian General Michel Maisonneuve admits the KLA had to know how the Serbs were likely to react to that ambush… Dugi Gorani, a prominent Kosovar Albanian, suggests the KLA was very aware of the consequences of their actions.’The more civilians were killed,’ he said, ‘the chances of international intervention became bigger, and the KLA of course realized that.’… Some KLA supporters have conceded that a key unit was based in the hills above and around Racak. But, when the Serbs finally attacked on January 15, eyewitnesses say the KLA fought back from high in the hills and made no real attempt to defend or protect the village. By the next morning, however, KLA soldiers were all over Racak to lead journalists into the ravine where the bodies were piled. Le Figaro’s Renaud Girard remembers asking the KLA where they’d been the day before. But the actions of KLA commanders aren’t the only actions that are now coming under scrutiny. For every question being asked about their whereabouts on the day of the massacre, an equal number of questions are being aimed at William Walker’s observer mission. OSCE monitors knew about the KLA’s ambush on police and the arrival of Serb reinforcements near Racak the very next day. Burim Osmani says his father Sadik had always been in frequent touch with the OSCE monitors responsible for Racak. He says that two or three weeks before the massacre, his father pleaded with the monitors to establish a permanent presence in the village. The OSCE refused… The world may no longer care to remember the massacre that sparked NATO’s bombing campaign and the subsequent occupation of Kosovo by tens of thousands of NATO soldiers. But the people of Racak have found a way to thank and remember the man they believe made it all possible. They’ve renamed the Road to Racak, William Walker Road.”
The Road to Racak

 

 

sources:

CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) Radio News, 2000,

http://www.srpska-mreza.com/Kosovo/hoax/Racak/Tiker/RacakFile.html

Advertisements
Posted in: Uncategorized